Monday, March 1, 2010

A SERIOUS MAN.



My friends wonder about my whereabouts on the auspicious Holi festival, I stay home,perched on my balcony watching the colourful proceedings. I wave to my totally drenched daughter,who is frolicking at the pool with her unrecognisable coloured friends. She pleads for my company at the pool where everyone is having a blast time.She is a care free child and will take time to understand my predicament.The DJ music is making people, young and old dance and letting their hair down.The ladies too, with their wet dresses are enjoying a brief respite from their busy kitchen bound lives.They gyrate, oblivious of the probing stares, at their wet dresses. I choose to miss all the action. Well, you see that I am a doctor and hence, cannot celebrate in public gaze in my small town. People know me. What will they say when the revelry is over?That thought bothers me, as a pebble in my shoe would.
I lead a non flashy existence in front of my judgmental patients, lie low and avoid all unwanted attention.
I do not want to face the sad relatives of an ailing patient,who may be battling for his life,with a painted face.They would never understand me with their prejudiced vision. A fun loving doctor is regarded as a non committed one in our society.
I wear formal clothes, even on Sundays to my hospital. A casual dress and an approach elicits a lot of uncomfortable questions.I maintain a serious look all the time.I always share their worries and anxieties to sooth them. I have left many dinners and movies, halfway, just to be with my patients and offer them my comforting support. I never see the half seen movies again. Also, the hosts of abruptly left dinners see me with blood in their eyes. Later, they forgive me.
On vacations,far away from my town,I am a changed man altogether. I roam around in shorts and fancy t-shirts without a care in the world. I laugh and dance around my darling daughter, much to her surprise and amazement. My wife is glad, for the disappearing act of my forehead wrinkles. My life becomes colourful! My mask of seriousness peels off my face much to my delight. I feel sad on the flight, taking me back home.
I have to put on my sad serious mask again.
The Joker puts a mask on, to hide his Sorrow.
I do it to hide my Happiness.
It goes well with my dead white apron, dark tan shoes and the gloomy hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment