Thursday, March 25, 2010

BOOK OF LIFE.



Back in school, I had to share the last bench with equally tall and hefty people like me.This was an opportunity to study the psyche of the academically under privileged for me and I enjoyed my school days with them. The only difference being, I always topped the class right from the beginning to the end, much to the surprise of the short people-nerds adorning the front benches,who were the recipients of all the love and attention of the class teacher. We were always looked down upon by the nerds. I cared a damn and the results used to lower their heads in respect for me. I had nothing personal against them but hated their book worm tendency and a sycophant attitude towards teachers, just to impress them. The teachers always used to thrash us for any mischief in the class, as they all, usually were long sighted. My hard knuckles still bear the wooden scale marks, maybe, they were toughening us for facing harder battles ahead in life.
Gulu and Manu were my bench occupants and both taught me life out side the books. Gulu had lost his father recently and had to handle his fruit business after school hours while Manu had to look after a stationary store in view of his paralysed father. At the raw ages of 14 years, both were handling the finances of their families and winning bread for them. Both were bright in Maths but other subjects were like Greek-Latin to them. They used to handle much complicated accounts in their businesses and our school maths curriculum was easily lapped up by them. Grace marks used to promote them to higher classes in other subjects. Sundays were the only free days available for them to study when the other students used to catch up on movies and outings. A premature responsibility was thrust on their delicate supple shoulders. However they passed the board exams and were separated from me by different fields of higher education. I went to science and they obviously chose commerce in view of their business.
Last month I had the pleasure of meeting Gulu and Manu in a hotel in our town. Both were running a flourishing business of export-import as partners and they were doing mighty well, judging by the glittering diamond studded watches and immaculately hand stitched crisp linen clothing. They immediately hugged me,were happy to learn my academic progress in life. As I was walking down with them, a swanky big car came to pick them up. They were flying the next day to Dubai for buying office space.The Sun was shining for them. I learnt, after class 12,they had left education. Their life's eclipse was long over.
We spent our entire lives reading heavy jargon filled books.
They were lucky.They did not cram their brains with pages of useless information.
They just read the 'Book of Life', right from the back benches, as children.
I wish well for them.
They have changed their place in the society now,
They occupy the reserved front seats !

No comments:

Post a Comment