Saturday, March 20, 2010

MY FIRST CAR.



Back then, I had just started my practice, used to commute to my work place by train and our city's favourite 3 wheeler, the auto rickshaw. I used to enjoy the shrill 'dhin-chak' music played in their music players and used to hum the latest songs on the way.
I was uncertain of my future in medical practice. I had given up a decent job to venture out in this field.
One night, I got a call from my hospital about an admission and I rushed to catch the train to my station.While coming back, it was well past 2am and the first train would only arrive at 4am. I found an empty bench and slept off, after hastily puffing my cigarette away. I was dead tired and I never thought about the homeless tramps and beggars who would sleep on this same bench.
I can sleep standing also! Once, I had slept peacefully in a bed adjacent to a dead body in my ICU. I can sleep anywhere when tired.
I got up to catch the first train and rushed home to be welcomed by my mother to a cup of tea. I told her about my sleep venture on the platform bench. My dad also came to know about this.
Next week, I was surprised to see a gleaming new Marti car in my building compound.It was my dad's gift for me. A night on the platform had compelled him to buy it for me, I had never asked for it. There was a problem though, nobody knew driving in our house!
After a few days, I started driving to work in presence of my brother who picked up driving skills pretty soon, in my new Marti car. It was a heavenly car! It was small, but our heavy family could sit comfortably in it to be driven around.We used to spit polish to keep it shining, all year round. After all, it was our first car.We were proud of it and covered it with a plastic cover to prevent the bird droppings from spoiling the car.We even went to holy places in that car.It was a memorable car!
As my bank balance increased,the car started to look small and a decision was reached to buy a bigger car.My dad was against the idea of selling this car but there was no use for a second car as my brother had left abroad for higher studies.
Many cars later, I now drive a luxury car with a music system as costly as the price of my first car. How times change! There are car cleaners and chauffeurs to pamper the car.It elicits stares from the chicks in our small town. I am married now, so the stares are never reciprocated and do not excite me. Some bigger car will soon catch my eyes and this car too, will change hands.
I still miss my first Marti car.
I miss it very badly,
It bears my blood and sweat marks of my early struggling years.
Have you seen it zipping anywhere?

No comments:

Post a Comment