Thursday, March 4, 2010

MASALA CHAI.



Suman is a poor vegetable seller patient of mine,was admitted last year with me for Gastritis. At the time of discharge, she could only manage to pay half amount of the bill. She just smiled and told me to understand her sad plight.She was a widow since last decade and her sons had stopped caring for her under the influence of their evil wives-'witches'-according to her. Her daily survival was based on the sale of her green vegetables, which depended on the fluctuating diesel prices and the moody corrupt officials, who would harass for their share, in her illegal hawking business on the road.The entire market was scared of these officials who were like some land lords. Business was tough on the road nowadays.


I am a Robinhood doctor, the plight of my poor patients always softens me and I accepted the half payment given by her gracefully. She blessed me in return. The poor are indeed,always grateful and she proved me right.Every time she follows up in my clinic, she gets me green tea leaves and ginger as her fees! I am happy and I don't mind it.


A sort of 'kind' payment.


The first thing that wakes me up in the morning is the invigorating aroma of the 'masala chai' which my mother lovingly makes for me.It is sipped, with the newspaper in my hand and wakes me up from my groggy state.It also works up my bowels for their morning call of duty. The tea has Suman's gifted crushed ginger and green tea along with cardamom-pepper powder.It has to be boiled perfectly and mixed with an equal portion of milk and stirred lovingly for some time.It is an intoxicating experience.Also,the aromatic fumes from the cup reach the brain cells to tease and tingle them.


It is not an ordinary Instant Tea with some dip-dip bags and dehydrated milk powder.


I have roamed many places on this mother earth, but the 'Instant Tea' has always disappointed me, it can never think of comparing with the sublime 'masala chai' made by my mother.The first thing I do, when I reach India, is to call home and ask for my favourite cup of 'masala chai'.


Of course, I do remember Suman every morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment