Monday, March 22, 2010

THE KATTA.

It was the most favoured hang out in the entire college- The Katta ! It was a platform opposite our main canteen and the library where we used to sit idly and gossip about all the little things of our life. The Katta was located so strategically, that no girl escaped our hawk like eyes in entire span of college life.

A sparingly used tennis court with a fence embraced our katta from behind along with tall trees. The place was like a right angle and the intersection was our vantage point, the right far side was dominated by the senior faculty members who would relax with a cup of tea after their rounds. The left side was for the near by chronic hostelites who would sit for long hours ruminating about their passing grades and failed attempts.

Class divide permeated our holy katta too.

The smoke rings, changing shapes were like a kaleidoscope of our future dreams.The katta saw many events of our lives silently, It was our seat of inspiration and provided courage to us for tackling various issues of our troubled lives. You could just sit there and hours would lapse like minutes. Maybe the shady trees towering around the katta instilled peace and harmony into our troubled lives.

The rich kids would park their dad's car near the katta to gain maximim visibility and a sense of awe from us, jealous folks. The chicks would be seen being dropped home by these good for nothing kids much to our dismay. We would only ogle, but that was enough for our soul satisfaction. We never imagined about having a girl friend in our college life, we were happy alone- with our sour grapes' status.


Priya was an exchange student from London who was impressed by my knowledge and looks and she immediately confessed her liking to me. She was a rich Punjabi girl, closely related to a Bollywood family and was a 'to be shattered' dream come true for me. We used to sip hot cups of tea on this very katta. My hours of effort in warming this place had yielded some fruit for me! I was on cloud 9. But it was time for Priya's departure and a day earlier, she casually asked me out for a movie and a dinner date.I was overjoyed, but it was the last day of the month and my pockets were empty. The katta curse was working against me, It could not bear my happiness and was out to shatter my dreams. I complained to her about a non existent headache and declined her rosy invitation much to her surprise.She thought of it as my rejection to her advances and after a formal hand shake, returned to London the next day. She could never understand my plight. I was destined to be alone.

Priya never came back, who comes anyway?

Life moved on and my place on the katta was still secure as a single eligible bachelor.God had some other plans for me, A sweet dentist was studying, would enter my life and change it for the better. She would colour my monochromatic existence! Everything happens for a reason in life.

I am very sad today, as it is the last day of our college.

The Katta looks so lovely now. I will miss the Katta, everyday of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment