Thursday, June 27, 2013

MAGIC TRICK.

It was a rainy Sunday evening that day.

The trees swayed rhythmically and the leaves rustled with an air of excitement. The atmosphere was a surreal one.

My dad had a small bottle of whisky for company along with peanuts and chips. We would just watch him sipping slowly while munching on the starters. A small glass of chilled Thums Up used to give us a high those days. After the last drop of the bottle was poured, an oft performed magic trick awaited us.We used to just sit besides our dad to see him perform the trick.

A lighted match stick was inserted through the narrow mouth of the now empty bottle and the flaming stick would just whoosh down to the base with a bigger flame.My dad now would just seal the bottle with his palm and voila! the bottle would stick to his palm. He would then lift the bottle with his palm amidst our claps and cheers. It was a simple science phenomenon of vacuum but we were small then to comprehend such stuff.

After the bottle got over, my strict dad's demeanor would change magically.He would become cheerful and soon music would start on our player. We would sing,clap and dance. It was indeed a wonderful sight to see my dad dance.He would then have his dinner and doze off with a smile on his face. Sunday evenings were bliss for us as the mood in the house used to be real light and easy. The stresses used to vanish. Weekdays were busy with our school and the demanding stressful jobs of our parents.

The earliest impression of alcohol was imbibed by me as a magical one. The magic trick kept on playing in my mind as I grew up.The spirit was regarded as a spiritual potion by me.


Till the age of 20, I never came in contact with alcohol. Boozing was a taboo then and we were scared of our parents. We began with beer and much to our surprise could no palate the sour taste of it. Whisky, Rum and Vodka were no better either, bitter in taste and gut burners.I was surprised to see how could people lap up this stuff.

After many attempts, I learned to appreciate the taste of whisky and could tolerate the bitterness.

The bitter drink used to sweeten my soul.

I used to float and my worries would temporarily vanish into thin air.

It was indeed a magical potion.

I recollected my dad's little magic trick and realised that it was just a precursor of the main act to follow.

The real magic was that it made you forget your worries and sadness.

It uplifted us.

I just smiled and wiped the tears from my eyes.......

No comments:

Post a Comment